Many housewives are accustomed, without hesitation, to boil milk, especially if it is meant for small children. Let's see, is it necessary to boil and what are the subtleties of this process.
Why boil the milk?
Boiling helps to decontaminate raw milk,having saved it from bacteria. Like any product, it is a fertile environment for the propagation of harmful microorganisms that die during heat treatment. And since the bacteria are destroyed, then the boiled milk is stored longer than the raw milk.
To boil or not?
True, this procedure has its drawbacks. High temperature not only destroys bacteria, but also destroys vitamins and trace elements contained in unpasteurized milk, and also changes the structure of milk protein. The longer the product is exposed to heat treatment, the fewer vitamins it remains. Nevertheless, even after this procedure, sufficient amounts of nutrients are stored in the milk. But if bought from the hands of milk does not boil, there is a risk of contracting some unpleasant disease, such as E. coli or Salmonella. So be sure to boil unpasteurized milk!
Milk from the store
So, a product bought in the market or fromvillage grandmother, you should always boil. And what about milk from a store or a hypermarket? This product has already passed all the stages of heat treatment by the time it was on the shelf of the store, and is completely ready for use. If the package indicates that the milk is pasteurized, ultra-pasteurized or melted, it is not necessary to boil it. The same applies to infant formula, as a rule, they are enriched with vitamins and minerals necessary for the child, which can be destroyed during heat treatment. In some stores you can see and lactose-free sterilized milk. It is suitable for people with intolerance to milk sugar. This product also does not need to be boiled.
Choose dishes for boiling
How to boil the milk? Which dish is best done? The bottom of the pot for boiling should be thick or even double, this reduces the chance of burning. As for the material, it is preferable to take the dishes from stainless steel. If this is not found in the farm, an aluminum, glass or ceramic container is also suitable. But it is not recommended to use enamel utensils - milk can easily burn in it, and it will not be easy to wash such a container. By the way, some manufacturers of kitchen appliances produce dairy products, created exclusively for this procedure.
How to boil?
How to boil the milk? Rinse the pan with cool water before putting it on the stove, this will save the product from burning. If you put a small saucer on the bottom of the dishes, the milk probably will not run away: tapping on the walls and bottom of the container, the saucer will not let the foam form on the surface when the liquid begins to boil.
After putting the pan on the stove, pour a littlewater and wait until it boils. Add some milk to the boiling water, and if it does not curl, pour in all the remaining. Periodically stirring, bring the product to a boil over medium heat, and then reduce it. After one or two minutes, the pan can be removed from the plate.
During boiling, milk can escape because ofFoam, which forms on its surface and does not allow rising air bubbles to burst. It can be removed only during boiling, but not after. On a cooled product, the film should be left as it contains most of the nutrients.
How long does it take to boil?
How much do I boil the milk? Dietitians disagree on how long it should be boiled. Some doctors recommend doing this for ten minutes or even longer, to surely destroy all harmful microorganisms. But many nutritionists advise to boil the milk until the moment it begins to boil.
So how much should you boil the milk? It is believed that harmful micro-organisms will be neutralized even for a short time. In addition, the less the duration of heat treatment of milk, the more useful substances it will remain.
Is it possible to boil in a microwave oven?
Doctors say that in the microwave oven milk can also be boiled. However, after this procedure, vitamins and minerals in it will remain even less than after boiling on the stove.
How to boil milk in a microwave? The exact recipe for heat treatment of this product in a microwave oven can not be given - the duration depends on the volume of the liquid and on the capacity of the unit. In addition, when using a microwave oven, it's hard to notice the moment when milk starts to overflow, so we recommend you pour it into a glass or other deep container.
Specialists and experienced housewives recommend that you listen to the following tips:
- To boiled milk for a long time did not spoil, add a teaspoon of sugar for each liter of the product, while it is boiling.
- If desired, the saucer will be replaced by a special circle or "lodge" - these devices can be bought at any hardware store.
- Neither a circle, nor a saucer is needed, if the walls of the pan lubricate slightly above the milk level - so it will not run away either.
- A pinch of soda will not let you curdle stale milk, if you needed to boil it.
- If the milk is still burnt, pour it intoanother dish, adding half a teaspoon of salt for every 2 liters of the product, and lower the dishes into a large container filled with cold water (for example, a basin). Burnt liquid is best not to give to small children, but you can add it to baking.
- If you are not going to drink milk immediately after boiling, pour it into a tightly closed dish so that it does not absorb the smells of other foods, and put it in the refrigerator.
- Plaque, which is formed after boiling milk, you need to thoroughly wash off. It is better to start a separate container, which you will only use for this procedure.
- If there is no possibility to store the sterilizedmilk in the cold, boil it twice a day (morning and evening) and cover with a lid only after full cooling. So the product will remain for two to three days.
Now you know how to boil the milk. We hope this information will be useful for you.