Each summer resident engaged in cultivationgrapes, knows that the proper care of this plant involves mandatory pruning of the vines in the autumn season. This allows to annually harvest a large berries and increase the winter hardiness of the bush.
Usually pruning of grapes in autumn is carried out with15 October to 1 November. This process is very important, as it activates the growth of flower buds. The pruning of grapes in autumn gives an opportunity to get a rich harvest already in the summer.
There is an opinion that the plucking of the vines followsproduce in the spring, as this will allow the plant to tolerate frosts more easily. In this case, laying and covering the branches, they must be tied into a bundle. Thus, together there are frozen after winter and ripened vines containing a large amount of moisture. As a result, in the spring period, when the temperature inside the shelter rises, rot and mold inevitably form. And they hit the ripened healthy branches. In addition, the vine, cropped in the spring, is more expiring juice, since it simply does not have time to zapobkovatsya. This leads to the fact that the juice oozes on the kidneys and causes them to rot.
Pruning grapes in autumn will avoid unexpected troubles, preserving the plant and multiplying the harvest.
The main goal of this event is to leave a minimum of long-term timber (this includes the base of the sleeves and the stem). The part of the bush that should be preserved is the vine grown in the previous year.
Pruning grapes in autumn can be accomplished by three techniques: a short pinching, medium and long:
- The first method is used mainly forhigh-yielding varieties (Rusball, Victoria, Uehara Red, Aleshenkin, Rusven, Agat). It involves the preservation of the four main fruit bearing vines with a total number of eyes 30-36. It is also necessary to leave 4 replacement knots with two eyes on each.
- Stronger varieties (Delight, Strashensky, Negrulia) recommend an average pruning of grapes for the winter, which keeps on the bush 40-46 eyes and 4 knots of substitution.
- Long pruning is not recommended forvarieties, characterized by high yield, as it can lead to excessive depletion of the bush. It is most acceptable to use it for weakly-fruitful and vigorous grapes. Such varieties include Nimrang, Parkent, Risamat and other representatives of Central Asian selection.
In the conditions of severe winter prevailing in our region, more than 40% of the kidneys can vomit on the vine. Therefore, it is the long autumn pruning of grapes that can preserve the quantity and quality of the harvest.
- Assess the condition of the bushes and clean up,removing sprouts and spindles, as well as leaves that are located below the first peg. It is also necessary to prune some of the unseen shoots.
- It is necessary to get rid of unnecessary and ineffective knots of substitution and extra vines, leaving one - well ripened.
- After processing the bush, pruning is recommended.start at the bottom. On the knots of substitution, it is necessary to cut the outer lower shoot to 4 eyes. All subsequent branches - at 5-15. It is recommended to remove the upper shoots altogether.
- In the spring period, you need to re-prune the grapes, but by 2-3 buds.
- To get new fruit links for the next season, it is necessary to cut several branches (only after blossoming) and remove the shoots, leaving the top two - this will be the young vines.
Competent and timely pruning of grapes is notonly facilitates the process of caring for the plant. It makes it easier to harvest and shelter the grapes for the winter. But the most important thing that can be achieved is the quality of the berries. Grapes become large, and berries ripen much faster.