Despite the wide choice of coatings for outdoor usework, offered by the construction market, the facade paint on wood is an indispensable substance that protects the structure from natural influences and gives it an aesthetic, attractive appearance.
What is a façade paint?
It is a mixture of the main binder and pigments with specific additives and fillers. Its very name implies the appointment - exterior, facade design.
Work with façade paints is carried out forcoatings of different surfaces: metal, wooden, plastic and mineral. The composition and properties of this indicator can be different or have a universal character.
Types and benefits of facade paints
The following types of paint are distinguished by the type of the main binder:
- Acrylic (latex) facade paint on wood,based on acrylic resins. Its important characteristics are: universality, ease of application and quick drying. A strong film coating, resistant to weathering, is created. A diverse palette of colors of such colors contributes to the implementation of design intentions. Serves, without losing brightness, to 12 years.
- Oil paint loses its fragility, the duration of drying and the propensity to swell from moisture and temperature drop.
- Mineral paint contains lime and cement. Their advantage is ecological harmlessness and low cost, and a minus is the rapid loss of color and absorption of moisture.
- Silicate paint contains silicateglass with organic compounds. It has good air permeability, but for other characteristics it loses significantly to the paints creating a film coating.
- Silicone emulsion paint. The main binder is an organic resin with a silicon content. It is diluted with water and when dried, it creates a strong, film surface that is resistant to moisture, temperature and the effects of fungi and microorganisms.
The type of solvent used is distinguished:
- paints that dissolve in water;
- paints made on solvents of organic nature ("Solvent", "Xylene", etc.).
The most commonly used water-solublefacade paint on wood, which creates a reliable film coating, which has atmospheric and temperature stability, as well as durability. The share of others is not more than 20 - 30%.
Technological properties of facade paint:
- Hiding power is determined by the amount of paint needed to cover 1 square. m.
- The paint consumption depends on the condition of the surface to be coated (absorbing properties) and on the spreading rate.
- The drying speed is important for maintaining the integrity of the facade surface. The higher, the better.
- Paint qualities are characterized by convenience in work: low toxicity, ease of application and rapid drying.
- Tinting - giving a certain color by adding a coloring pigment;
- Reflective abilities (glossy and matte).
Most often used matte facade paint on wood, and glossy accent is created on decorative details.
Among the manufacturers of high-quality facade paints, it is possible to distinguish Russian (CJSC "Nevsky Paint", "Olivesta", "Stroykomplekt", etc.) and foreign (Finnish - TIKKURILA, English - DULUX and others).